The ship was originally built in 1930 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation in Quincy, Mass. She was name the Borinquen, was 466 feet in length, had a width of 60 feet, tonnage of 17,114. She served as a cruise ship under various names as the ownership of the vessel changed hands. She served as the Arosa Star with the Arosa Line from 1952 until 1958. Bankruptcy forced the owner of the company to sell the ship. That fate had various reasons, such as competing shipping lines with newer ships, an increasing influence of air travel, just to name a couple.
The last owner of the ship of the ship couldn't afford the mooring fees and left it at anchor off shore (California) where it ran aground in a storm. The lower hull now makes part of the breakwater at Port Hueneme, California. The end came on April 13, 1970. Not a very noble ending for such a lovely ship! - V