Shortly after I came out to British Columbia in early 2006 I had a case of severely high blood pressure. It wouldn't have been fair to an employer for me to work for them until I got my health situation sorted out. I was on medications to lower the blood pressure and it took until early 2007 to find the cause. I finally went to a naturopath who found that a microscopic parasite was the cause for all this.

While getting my health in order, I took up blogging to share my photography. This way I wasn't wasting time and others got to enjoy the photos, not just me and those close to me.

In May of this year I had a mini-stroke cause again by severely high blood pressure. I may end up gong to the naturopath again since the specialist and other MDs can't seem to find the cause. This has only been a problem out here. Before that in Ontario, the blood pressure was only marginally high, not severely high like in BC.

Knowledge is good because being forewarned is forearmed!

All that said, enjoy this blog and all the photos I share with you.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

the Arosa Star, the ship that brought us to Canada

I've been scanning older photos a little at a time, as time itself permits. This photo is of the ship, the Arosa Star as it was known then in 1957 when we came over from Germany as a family. The photo is actually from a postcard issued by the Arosa Line. I'll post a few more photos of the ship later. My father took a number of images during our crossing of the Atlantic in June of that year.

The ship was originally built in 1930 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation in Quincy, Mass. She was name the Borinquen, was 466 feet in length, had a width of 60 feet, tonnage of 17,114. She served as a cruise ship under various names as the ownership of the vessel changed hands. She served as the Arosa Star with the Arosa Line from 1952 until 1958. Bankruptcy forced the owner of the company to sell the ship. That fate had various reasons, such as competing shipping lines with newer ships, an increasing influence of air travel, just to name a couple.

The last owner of the ship of the ship couldn't afford the mooring fees and left it at anchor off shore (California) where it ran aground in a storm. The lower hull now makes part of the breakwater at Port Hueneme, California. The end came on April 13, 1970. Not a very noble ending for such a lovely ship! - V


Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting a picture of the Arosa Star. My family also arrived to Canada (Quebec City) via this ship in 1958.

Klaus Dojahn said...

My voyage on the Arosa Star took place in October 1957 from Bremerhafen to Quebec. Departure was delayed by one day because of a terrible storm. It was still turbulant and 80% of all passengers suffered from motion sickness. Did not realize how many people were on board till we entered the St. Lawrence River and had our fare well party. I live now in California and will visit the wreck.

SpiritMountainGuy said...

Ours was a pleasant June crossing. Its such a sad ending for a lovely ship (on the rock in California). We lived in London, Ontario after coming there from Montreal where the ship docked. Both my parents have passed on and I now live in the Vancouver, British Columbia area. Thank you for taking the time to comment, Klaus!



consuelo said...

I was only 7 years old and the Arosa Star took us from Vigo in Spain to La Guaira in Venezuela. /we were returning to Colombia, where I was born) The year 1955.It was a very handsome ship and I remember I got away not eating in the dinning room, but on deck. They pamapered me quite a bit. An unforgettable sight was the dolphins. It is sad to know it had a sad ending, I would love to visit where it docked in California. Thanks Klaus for bringing back all those memories

cruisingtoo said...

I came from Bremerhaven to Quebec on either the Arosa Sun or the Star. I am trying to ascertain that to this day. It was in July of 1956. A great voyage for me, as I don't get seasick. Had the run of the ship. Have limited photo's.

Anonymous said...

My family left Bremer haven in May 1956 and arrived in Quebec City May 11. I was 13 at the time. It was a rough crossing.

Inge said...

How interesting I also came to Canada on the Arosa Star in June of 1957 from Bremahaven with my sister and our parents I had my birthday while on board June 4. We also landed in Montreal and then took a train to Calgary where I still live.

Anonymous said...

My family came to Canada in the early 50's on the Arosa Star. I was very young, 2 or 3, I think. My parents have passed on so I can't ask them. I think the vision of the beauty of the ocean has forever been planted in my subconscious,as I am strongly drawn to bodies of water. The experience of being German in Canada ( in Toronto ) in the early 50's and 60's was sometimes difficult. I think my life began like this ship's, full of promise and hope, and beauty and adventure... new hopes, new beginnings. And like this ship ( I believe ships have a life of their own ) there are storms we all have to weather, and sometimes it seems even as a ship-wreck we have the memory of our voyages.

Judy mattlin said...

Searching for immigration record for JOe Horvath, Arosa Star, Bremerhaven Toto Csnada