The 3-lane bridge was built across the first narrows on Burrard Inlet to allow British Properties to access their holdings on the north shore. Construction started March 31, 1937 and took one and one half years to complete at a cost of $5,873,837.17. The design work was done by Monsarrat and Pratley of Montreal, the company that later was responsible for designing the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge in Halifax, Nova Scotia, a bridge built of similar design. Opened to traffic on November 14, 1938, the bridge was officially opened by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on May 29, 1939. On January 20, 1955 the Guiness family sold the bridge to the province of British Columbia. The tolls were taken off the bridge in 1963. It is currently owned by the British Columbia Ministry of Transportation and maintained by Mainroad Contracting Limited. For more information about the bridge check out the Wikipedia entry on the subject.
You can see Stanley Park from above, such as a view of the seawall in the photo above, and also see downtown Vancouver (below).
There is a small bridge across the highway (Hwy 99 and 1A) built in a similar Art Deco style as the approaches to the Lions Gate Bridge. The Art Deco style was popular during the time in the 1930s. The white flowers are English Daisies!